Gravity takes its toll on our body as we age, and a natural part of the aging process is saggy and drooping skin. When skin on the face starts to droop, however, many are left feeling self-conscious. Sometimes when skin droops around the eyes or the eyelids begin to droop, vision can even be affected. The good news is that blepharoplasty, or eyelid surgery, is a procedure that can rectify this.
Five Benefits of Blepharoplasty
Blepharoplasty, or an eyelid lift, is done to remove loose skin from the eyelids. Sometimes this sagging skin can impair vision, irritate your eyes, and cause overall discomfort. Ptosis, or a drooping of the upper eyelid, can be corrected with this procedure.
1. Improved vision. For those who suffer from ptosis or even more mild cases of heavy eyelids, a blepharoplasty can result in an increased field of vision. When the eyelid falls so low that it covers part of the pupil, vision can be blocked and impact driving and other aspects of daily living.
2. Younger looking eyes. The skin on the eyelids is thin and delicate, and over time, that skin produces less and less collagen. With less collagen, the skin cannot hold out against gravity as strongly as it used to, so it begins to droop and sag. Some people are even genetically predisposed to this, but aging can make it more apparent. A blepharoplasty is an effective method to get rid of that excess skin, giving eyes a younger and fresher looking shape.
3. Brighter and more alert-looking eyes. Extra skin and puffiness around the eyes can cause you to appear tired and unengaged. Droopy eyelids can often give eyes the appearance of being half-closed. By reducing the extra fat around the eyes, your eyes will look alert and well-rested.
4. Long-term results. While blepharoplasty cannot stop skin from aging and becoming saggy in the future, it can last up to ten years, depending on your health and a few other factors.
5. A confidence boost. If you feel self-conscious about your eyes, and feel that they make you look old or tired, getting a blepharoplasty could be just the solution to give you an extra boost of self-confidence.
Blepharoplasty can be performed on the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both at the same time. To minimize scarring, incisions are made in the natural folds of the eyelid, and from here, your surgeon will remove excess skin, fat pads, and tissue.
If you suffer from saggy eyelids, a blepharoplasty can address this problem and more. Improved vision, a more youthful and alert appearance, and brighter eyes are just a few of the benefits that you can expect from the procedure. In addition to an extra dose of confidence to your self-esteem, a blepharoplasty procedure has long-term results that can last up to a decade.