Buccal fat pads are the round masses of fat in the middle of the cheek between facial muscles. While there is nothing wrong with having round or big cheeks, it is a source of anxiety for some people. If your cheeks cause anxiety or discomfort for you, you might opt for a buccal fat pad removal for smaller cheeks. Everyone has buccal fat pads, but the size of these can vary from person to person.
What Is a Buccal Fat Pad Removal?
Buccal fat pad removal is a surgical procedure to help shrink the size and appearance of the cheeks. The procedure can help improve the appearance of a round face or “baby cheeks.” During a buccal fat pad removal procedure, your surgeon will remove the fat to thin out the cheek and improve the facial contouring and angles. It is often combined with other procedures, such as facelifts, Botox injections, lip fillers, and more.
What is the Procedure Like?
If you are a candidate for buccal fat removal surgery, here’s what to expect from the procedure:
1. First you will have a consultation with your surgeon to make sure your expectations and goals for the procedure are realistic. You will also discuss any medications and supplements, and your medical history.
2. During the procedure, itself, you will be given local anesthesia if you are only having buccal fat removal. This means that you will be awake for the surgery, but you will not feel any pain. If you are combining your buccal fat removal with another surgery, you will likely be given general anesthesia.
3. An incision will be made inside an area of the cheek to minimize the appearance of scars.
4. The fat will be cut and removed.
5. The wound will be closed with sutures.
After the procedure, you can expect some swelling and tenderness, which should go away with time. A complete recovery generally takes up to three weeks. The cheeks can take up to several months to settle into their new shape.
Buccal fat pad removal is a great option for people who have a rounder face and who desire a chiseled appearance. The procedure is quick and efficient, and does not leave any visible scars. With minimal downtime, buccal fat pad removal is a simple and easy solution for a thinner-appearing and more contoured face.